Paid Time Off Vacation
We offer paid-time off vacation so team member can refresh and recharge. Employees who are classified as full-time are eligible.
|Total Service Recognized||Paid Time Off Vacation Allowed|
|0-3 Years||80 Hours|
|4-10 Years||120 Hours|
|11+ Years||160 Hours|
- In the hiring and terminating years, this time will be pro-rated
- Vacation hours are advanced to you at the beginning of the calendar year, and then you earn them as the year progresses. Therefore,
- If you leave during the year, and you have taken more than you have earned, we will deduct the amount from your last pay.
- If you have earned more than you have taken, we will pay you the difference in your last pay.
New hires will be given 1 year of Smithers service credit for every 2 years of service in a similar position previously held to determine PTO Vacation at the start of employment.
We offer paid-time off sick time to care for yourself or children during an illness or to use to stay well. Employees who are classified as full-time are eligible.
|Sick Policy||All Employees|
|Pay||100%, minimum 1 hour|
|Rollover||56 Hours, Cap at 112 Hours|
|Doctor’s return||3 Days|
- Doctor’s appointments
- If you are sick, you need to take care of yourself
- If your dependent child is sick and you are the only one that can care for him/her
Holidays & Floating Holidays
Smithers offers 8 paid holidays and 16 hours of Floating Holiday time. Team members can use the Floating holiday time how they choose upon approval from their manager. Employees who are classified as full time are eligible.
- New Years Day
- Memorial Day
- Independence Day
- Labor Day
- Day after Thanksgiving
- Christmas Eve
- Christmas Day
In the hiring year Floating Holiday time will be prorated and remaining balances will not be paid out in terminating year unless required by state law.
A personal leave of absence without pay is available to eligible employees who wish to take time off from work duties to fulfill personal obligations.
- An employee must be working in a regular full-time status and have completed (1) year of service.
- Please see your supervisor for additional information regarding this policy.
The company encourages employees to fulfill their civic responsibilities by participating in elections.
If employees are unable to vote in an election during their non-working hours, the company will grant reasonable time off to vote. This time is unpaid time off.
Smithers complies with all absences covered under The Family and Medical Leave act of 1993.
- The family medical leave act (FMLA) provides job and benefit protection to eligible employees absent from work due to a qualifying event.
- An employee can inquire on their eligibility for FMLA simply be requesting an FMLA request form, from their designated Human Resource Business Partner.
We offer bereavement leave to help employees during a time of loss. Employees who are classified as full-time are eligible.
spouse/domestic partner, child/stepchild
parent, sibling, daughter/son In-law, mother/father In-law, brother/sister in-law grandparent, grandchild
aunt/uncle, niece/nephew, cousin
Smithers believe employees should be able to fulfill their civic duties. Employees who receive notice of jury duty are expected to notify their supervisor as soon as possible so that arrangements may be made to reschedule work assignments if necessary.
Full-time employees may take off to serve on a jury and shall be paid for up to 120 hours of jury duty per calendar year, not to exceed regularly scheduled work hours.
- An employee on jury duty will be expected to work as much of their regularly scheduled shift as the jury duty permits.
- Upon presentation of proof of jury duty, the company will pay the employee their regular wage that would have been earned for that period, less any amount received for the jury duty, excluding travel pay, meals, mileage, or parking fees incurred during jury duty.